A post over at play library reminded me about travel toys as we planned our trip. This long cross country trip with a full car didnâ€™t leave much space for kid’s things and that would be a problem…. or not.
- One of the best pieces of advice I received was to buy a lap tray. We got ours from Walmart but they are everywhere. The oldest one used it for food, colouring, sticker books. Mum and Dad used it as well- bonus.
- I packed a clear backpack full of activity books, sticker books, colour wonder pens and book, mini cars and action figures, dot to dot, mazes, little plastic insects (lizards)magic paint mini books, paper, pencils and colouring pencils ( I had the sharpener in my bag). There were lots of mini books from the market (sent by Grandma for the long journey) or from the local dollar store.
The oldest dipped in and out all trip. He passed over stickers, cars and paper to the little guy. Big guy hauled it in and out of the hotels and really loved finding new things to do- some alone and some with us.
- DVDs- Mickey mouse was a runaway favourite.
During down time we even got in an Audio book. The Kite Runner-Fantastic book. That kept us hanging on the authors every word.
- Another great piece of advice was when we stopped we always tried to find a park so the kids can burn energy. We found some great places. Tired and played out they were happy to go back into the car seats for a long time.
- Post it notes- I saw this fabulous idea on a recent trip to Crater Lake. The car windows had a lovely display of pictures. The kids had drawn all sorts of things and then stuck them on the back windows. Easy clean up and compact. There were 3 different colours, so I assumed there were 3 kids in that van.
****What are you doing with your kids during those road trips? Why not leave a response below. Would love to hear your ideas.****
I posted about this very thing from our recent trip on my website. Here is the link about our travel box Pictures are included. https://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Angelheart/351440/ I created a box to keep for travel only. When I see things or good ideas to put inside then I add to it or take out as the kids interest change. It really can in handy on our recent trip to the beach which was a 4 hour drive. It contains Car bingo from http://www.momsminivan.com , felt tic tac toe board, bear paper doll, fishing game, large beading, bubbles for the baby(he stops crying instantly) card games, and silly putty . I think that is about it. I really want to get one of those desks that attach to you car seat.
Thanks Nikki for your links. Lots of practical and easy to assemble ideas. I just love the weather bear. My kids would have loved that. ….next time.
Thanks so much for the link! 🙂
Thanks for the links! Will be of great value as we are planning a long trip by car to see the grandparents!