Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Stitcher
School age kids have a lot of big feelings. Dr Carla Naumburg from Carla Naumburg shares mindfulness practices families can do that help develop skills of listening, paying attention and empathy. Mindfulness sets the stage for dealing with stress and managing big feelings.
Growing Nimble Families podcast encourages the celebration of school age kids traveling through middle childhood
- Why is mindfulness such a big deal to learn for our kids?
- Ever wondered what mindfulness is not
- Teaching about big feelings is hard. We’re all in it together and learning how to do this
- What’s a mindful practice that you’ve seen work really powerfully in your family or in a family you’ve worked with?
- 5 finger breathing
- Any feeling is okay but not every behaviour
- The single biggest trick in meltdowns that will change everything is changing how we stay calm.
- Using I-messages…
resource: Emotional literacy or intelligence
- How do you incorporate mindfulness practice into a household where there are lots of moving parts?
- Have you seen any examples of mindfulness practices in schools that parents might want to share in their local schools?
Books: Dr Carla Naumburg, author of Ready, Set, Breathe: Practising Mindfulness with Your Children for Fewer Meltdowns and a More Peaceful Family (New Harbinger, 2015)
Parenting in the Present Moment: How to Stay Focused on What Really Matters
WHAT TO DO NEXT:
So you’ve listened to this episode – if you liked it and want to hear other ones – and I really think you will….you should do this right now:
How to listen and subscribe to this show
I’d love to hear from you about the show.
Any comments about the podcast use the Voicemail
Use the hashtag #creatingfamilyhaven
If you’ve enjoyed the show please take the time to share it with friends and leave a review for it on iTunes or Stitcher.
**Pin and Share**