What is the purpose of an index?
- To connect readers and great play content together.
- To celebrate, in one place, those blogs that support raising playful tots.
- To gather together a network of play blogs.
How often is the index updated?
We are planning on a quarterly update. June is the first one was based on 3 months of data.
What does ‘play based’ mean?
Your blog must meet at least one or more of the criteria below and offer:
· A range of play activities
· Good practice in play
· Attends to the holistic/general needs of children and play
· Playful at heart
· Variety of activities/articles that support:
Emotional development of under 8 children.
We try to weed out ones based on the criteria above but if we miss some please let us know.
My blog is play based why isn’t it listed?
We know we didn’t get everyone. We also work with what we’ve got. If you know of a blog or you are a blogger about play then please submit your blog here .
Why would you index play blogs anyway?
Early years play bloggers are a hardworking and a dedicated bunch. The higher the rank shows, the wider the variety of play types (crafts, imaginary play, physical play, music, movement, singing, etc.) and/or a higher proportion of play based posts. There is always the debate that generalists are general about everything and specialists are only specialists at one thing. Instead of polarizing these two groups, this index gives us the best of all worlds to find specialists and generalists sharing their experiences of play. Our biggest audience is parents who need to be generalists.
Why a top 100?
There are many more play based blogs. You can find them by following the links you find on each blog. We had to draw the line somewhere. I think 100 blogs in your feed-reader will give you plenty of inspiration for play for quite some time.
How do you measure your index?
The index is calculated using a combination of metrics that are then weighted to determine overall ranking. We look at three specific ares:
* Rank and Search – looks at Alexa ranking and the number of indexed pages your blog has.
* Social Media – Helps to assess the level of “buzz” around the blogs posts and contribution to the play conversation.
* Play – Looks at the overall focus and content of the blog.
I don’t think my ranking is right, what can I do?
In calculating the index we rely on a number of sources for the data and mistakes can happen. Let us know if you think there is a problem, but firstly check the following:
* Have you changed you domain recently?
* Have you claimed your blog on Technorati?
* Do you have a facebook and twitter account?
I’ve submitted my blog but it’s not come up on the list?
Each time we go through ALL the blogs to make the rank. That is well over 200 blogs! Ranks move up and down, new people come in and others drop off as blogs go silent. You don’t need to resubmit your blog. Infact that slows everything down. Sorry you didn’t make it this time. See the above two FAQs to improve your chances of getting into the top 100 next time.
Can you remove my blog?
Yes. As the site owners please send us an email indicating you would like your blog removed.
If your questions did not get answered above, please fill out the form here.