My son stumbled across this game as it was out in the toy shop in Cambridge. As we were browsing through the fun toys. He stopped and then I did………….for a while. So I decided to buy it.
It comes with plenty of instructions and variations.
This is how we play it.
- Roll the die. Count the dots.
- Flip the corresponding number up.
- Next player repeats 1 & 2.
- Do this a couple of times. ( so only numbers 1-6) Note: Make sure you get No.1 flipped.
- Use both dice. Count the dots. ( so numbers 2-12) are available
- Continue until all numbers 1-12 are flipped.
So far we’ve found 11 and 12 take forever. We roll 3 times only if we’re waiting for those ones or any ones that seem to be taking forever. Or my son tries to distract me and turn the dice to show the right answer.
Why we like this play-activity?
- Fast and fun rolling the dice
- His toddler brother rolls the dice and is included in the game and turn taking.
- Older son counts everyone’s spots and loves it
- He recognises the patterns of spots so is able to look and say 5 without counting every time. Although he still likes to count- no problem.
- We all turn take and commiserate when we get the same number again and again and again.
- We celebrate anyone getting to flip
- Flipping is fun.
- He likes to give a commentary and tell us which numbers we have left.
- You can start and stop the game at any time
- He loves to play it by himself or with others.
The game is called Shut the box
Not quite sure how that title works…..one explanation here.
*********Do you play dice games?
What’s your favourite dice play activities?*************