Dipping our toe into the world of interactive media and apps for our playful tots this week. We have Dr Petra Kern, owner of Music Therapy Consulting. She is online professor at Marylhurst University and the University of Louisville, Editor-in-Chief of the early childhood music therapy online magazine imagine, and acting Past President of the World Federation of Music Therapy.
She is back to share research and information on interactive media and apps for young children. There are well known and recognized guidelines about screens for young children and we as parents also know ultimately what’s the best thing for our family. However we’re still left with when. When do we try these apps, how long? and which ones should we start with.?
For some this answer might be never or not now. This isn’t the right season, time or stage for all sorts of reasons. For others this media is all around them in the home, school, car and how do you handle interactive media with the kids?
Whether you’re on the fence, use or don’t use interactive media and apps with your children this show will give you some new information to make the choices when the time comes.
Raising Playful Tots – the podcast for parents who want to make the most of their playtime and enjoy simple parenting
Click the play button above and let’s get some ideas.
INFORMATION FROM THE SHOW
- What do you think about using interactive media with young children?
- Are there any national guidelines for using technology and interactive media with young children and what do they say?
- Are there any checklists that can be used to identity the most suitable ones?
- What makes a good app ?
- Recommended music apps, a live demonstration and evaluation using a checklist
More, C. M. & Travers, J. C. (2013). What’s app with that? Selecting educational apps for young children with disabilities. Young Exceptional Children, 16(2), 15-32.
- Kern, P. (2013). Resources within reason: Technology applications to support your work, Part 3. Young Exceptional Children,16(3), 39-40.
- Kern, P. (2011). Cool music apps for little ones. imagine 2(1), 91.
Parenting Quotes -board
WHAT TO DO NEXT:
So you’ve listened to this episode – if you liked it and want to hear other ones – and I really think you will….you should do this right now: