Nothing’s worse than a temper tantrum or discipline issues around a play activity. We all end up frustrated, cross and really unlikely to want to do the activity. Play activities can all too easily be derailed by high emotions.
Today I’m talking to Amy Speidel of Conscious discipline about approaches to use to move us through this season of Early childhood learning.
We are teaching and learning through conflict situations so we can be about the business of play.
Listen to this week’s show
What we learn in this podcast::
- What is conscious discipline?
- about brain based research and how it impacts discipline
- about coaching our children on what to do in the three states
- Benefits of using the technique S.T.A.R to turn off the alarm system so we can problem solve.
- an alternative approach to just “Time Out” to solve a problem.
- What to do if they are watching a program and they don’t want to turn off the TV
- the truth about yelling, “Calm down”.
- Where to place our focus when disciplining.
- How saying don’t hit actually reinforces the hitting? and changing that!
- Tips for “Inside voice” and Whining
- Nine words that will limit whining!
- …”this behaviour needs more skill …it needs more experience”
- that children think in pictures and why your home should change because of it
- ways to curb our frustrations as parents during these high emotion times
- Gas or Fire technique
- …quick techniques and tips
- teaching the need for control and our feelings like anger.
Wiring the brain for success : TEDTalk
Books to share with our children about emotions: Shubert series
Loving Guidance videos on Youtube.
Butterfly garden :: Sun Hats and Wellie boots
Here’s What You Could Do Next…
Now that you listened to this episode of Raising Playful Tots, here’s what you could to do next:
- Education is meaningless without action. So, tell me what you learned from this episode, and how you plan to apply it to your family in the comment section.
- If you enjoyed this episode, do me a favor and share it on Twitter or Facebook. Or better yet, send a personal email to one of your friends whom you’d think would love this.
- This part is important. I’m currently have only a few reviews on iTunes, and I need to get to 10 reviews. If you have a few seconds, can you please go to iTunes and leave me an honest review (after subscribing).
Thank you for listening and being a playmate!