Cuddled up on the sofa is our best place to read aloud together. But as they get more wriggly and jiggly we’ve discovered some other fun places to read aloud.
- Bathroom– got to love the echo and the chance to ham up your story telling. Whether clothed and bringing in chairs or a bathtime treat.
- Local park– sitting on the rug surrounded by openness and a good book. Beware you’ll attract new curious listeners.
- Under the table – When do we ever start an activity under the table? I tell you, they love it!
- Inside a reading nook , tent or fort. They make a brilliant space we should enjoy them too, if we can get in.
- In the car on the way to school retell a story in a round
- At the dinner table– captive audience who are listening and munching.
- At the doctors office– who wants to wait when you can catch up on your picture book or next chapter?
- Whilst you’re waiting for a sibling during a club and you are schlepping the other child around. It’s a quick and immediate distraction from them trying to join in and now a focus on being together sharing a book.
- Inside mummy and daddy’s bed altogether comfy and warm; making memories .
- Between ordering and receiving food in the café or restaurant ugh! This can be the longest time waiting for the food to be cooked, ready and taken out. Keep them with a good book, comic or bunch of jokes
Where have you read aloud with your kids ?